The Friends of the School of Music is a volunteer organization of music lovers dedicated to the advocacy and financial support for the University of Kentucky School of Music.
Students in the School frequently have opportunities to perform, study or present research throughout the United States and across the globe. The Friends of Music makes much of this student and faculty travel possible by making financial awards through an application process.
The UK Symphony Orchestra with Gil Shaham
Here are a few activities funded through support from Friends of the UK School of Music:
- The UK Trombone Choir performed at the American Trombone Workshop, presented by the U.S. Army Band in Washington, D.C.
- The UK Guitar Trio premiered Ciro Scotto’s Three Works for Three Guitars at the International Music Festival held on the University of South Florida campus.
- A commissioned work for saxophone quartet by composer Jeff Driskill was premiered by students from our saxophone studio.
- Composer Paul Dooley held residence in the UK School of Music and worked with the UK Wind Symphony on performing his composition, Masks and Machines.
- A special recital program entitled “What Dreams We Have” featured guest UK School of Music alumni Reginald Smith, Jr. (voice) and Daniel Arnold (composer).
- Faculty and doctoral students presented research throughout the United States, Argentina, and Brazil.