Dance Major Auditions
- 8 - 8:30 a.m. - SIGN IN
- 8:30 - 9 a.m. - Info meeting, Q&A with parents
- 9 a.m. - Audition begins
Applications for admission to the University of Kentucky, as well as application deadline and materials information, are available on the UK Admissions site. In addition to being admitted to UK, a successful audition is required to be declared a dance major. During the audition, prospective students will demonstrate their knowledge of ballet, jazz, modern, and improvisation movement based phrases and exercises. The audition culminates with an individual interview meeting with a faculty member.
Students should bring to the audition the following:
- Resume: A one-page resume listing dance training and performance experience
- Entrance Essay: 500-word minimum writing sample choosing one of following prompts.
- Identify and discuss your future dance goals.
- Describe a dance work you would like to choreograph. This can be realistic or unrealistic. For example, a dance on the moon.
- Discuss a person that has inspired you.
- Photograph: A printed recent photograph of yourself (professional or informal); headshot preferred.
- Recommended Audition Attire
- Wear appropriate attire that will show clean lines: leotard and tights, unitard, or form-fitted pants. Ballet slippers for the ballet class, Jazz shoes for the jazz class, and bare feet for the modern dance portion. If you do not own jazz shoes, ballet slippers will suffice.