UKSO & Philharmonia Absence Request
Please Note: Absences for Illness / Medical reasons require documentation. Absences for University conflicts require Dean's Excuses, which will be provided by the professor of your conflicting event/class.
Please text Nathan Williams AND Maestro Nardolillo informing them that you will not be at rehearsal and have submitted the formal request below.
Failure to comply with absence policies will result in academic consequences.
A student shall not be penalized for an excused absence. The following are defined as excused absences:
- Significant illness of the student or serious illness of a member of the student’s household (permanent or campus) or immediate family. The Instructor of Record shall have the right to request appropriate verification.
- The death of a member of the student’s household (permanent or campus) or immediate family. The Instructor of Record shall have the right to request appropriate verification. For the purpose of this rule, immediate family is defined as spouse or child or parent (guardian) or sibling (all of the previous include steps, halves and in-laws of the same relationship); and grandchild or grandparent.
- Trips for members of student organizations sponsored by an educational unit, trips for University classes, and trips for participation in intercollegiate athletic events, including club sports registered with the university as well as varsity sports. When feasible, the student must notify the Instructor of Record prior to the occurrence of such absences, but in no case shall such notification occur more than one week after the absence. Instructors of Record may request formal notification from appropriate university personnel to document the student’s participation in such trips.
- Major Religious Holidays. Students are responsible for notifying the Instructor of Record in writing of anticipated absences due to their observance of such holidays. Faculty shall give students the opportunity to make up work (typically, exams or assignments) when students notify them that religious observances prevent the students from doing their work at its scheduled time. Faculty should indicate in their syllabus how much advance notice they require from a student requesting an accommodation. Faculty shall use their judgment as to whether the observance in question is important enough to warrant an accommodation, although the presumption should be in favor of a student’s request. The Offices of Institutional Diversity, the Dean of Students, and the Ombud are available for consultation.
(For additional information on excused absences due to the observance of major religious holidays; visit: www.uky.edu/ombud/religious-observation-accommodations
- Interviews for full-time job opportunities post-graduation and interviews for graduate or professional school. The student must notify the Instructor of Record prior to the occurrence of such absences. Instructors of record have the right to request appropriate verification.
- Any other circumstance which the Instructor of Record finds reasonable cause for absence.