University of Kentucky String Project
The UKSP provides instrument instruction on violin, viola, cello and bass for children from age 7 and up. The mission of the program is to offer a comprehensive music education which provides instruction in a variety of subjects related to string playing, including technique building, performance, and music theory. Directed by Dr. Tze-Ying Wu, the UKSP also serves as a platform for the UK School of Music students to gain valuable teaching experience.
In order to protect our students from COVID-19, all classes will be conducted remotely via Zoom. Students will need to have devices that allow audio/video conferencing and access to internet.
The UK String Project is a member of the National String Project Consortium, an organization committed to the development and growth of string education across the nation.
Enrollment is limited and is on a first come basis. The UKSP has a limited number of instruments that are made available for students who need additional financial assistance. Please contact Dr. Tze-Ying Wu for more information.
February 1 - May 8, 2021
Each week (12 sessions) we offer:
- 30-minute Saturday group classes. Group classes are divided by instruments and levels. Below is a tentative schedule which may change based on enrollment.
- Violin A (Beginner) - 9-9:30 AM
- Violin B (Intermediate) - 9:30-10 AM
- Cello A (Beginner) - 10-10:30 AM
- Cello B (Intermediate) - 10:30-11 AM
- Violin C (Intermediate) - 11-11:30 AM
- Violin D (Advanced) - 11:30-12 PM
- Viola (Mixed level) - 12-12:30 PM
Bi-weekly (6 sessions) we offer:
- 30-minute one-on-one private lesson (time arranged between the teacher and the student)
- 30-minute Monday music theory class with topics including note reading, rhythms, intervals, and musical terminologies and forms. Theory classes are divided by age and the class assignment will be communicated after registration. Below is a tentative schedule which may change based on enrollment.
- Theory A - 5-5:30 PM
- Theory B - 5:30-6 PM
- Theory C - 6-6:30 PM
- Theory D - 6:30-7 PM
- Classes alternate each week to form the bi-weekly schedule.
Additional class offerings and activities include:
- Parent Orientation, January 30 (SAT) at 10AM: This session offers a detailed explanation on program structure, teaches parents how to tune the instrument, and provides tips on how to practice with your children at home (Highly recommended for new parents)
- Group Warm-up and Practice Session, February 27 (SAT) at 10AM
- Group Recital, April 17 (SAT) at 10AM
- Solo Recital, May 8 (SAT) at 10AM: The final recital given by all students to conclude the semester.
Dr. Tze-Ying Wu, violin/viola
Assistant Professor of Viola and String Education of University of Kentucky and director of UK String Project
Ethan Young, cello
Cello instructor at UK String Project and Adjunct Cello Instructor at Henderson State University
The project fee covers all activities throughout the session and is non-refundable. The UK String Project offers three payment levels. Please pay what you can afford among the options below.
- Reduced: $95
- Regular: $125
- Regular with extra support: $175
Registration Deadline: Sunday January 24, 2021
Please contact Dr. Tze-Ying Wu for any questions.