Cabinet of Wonder
Cabinet of Wonder
January 25 - May 31, 2020
Simple objects can tell complex stories; and the UK Art Museum wants to see and hear yours!
We are interested in your unique and wondrous object. We want to know about these items, how you came to possess them, and why they are significant to you. If selected, your wondrous object could be part of an exhibition at the UK Art Museum from January 25 to May 31, 2020.
People of all ages collect things that they find meaningful, interesting, valuable and worthy of collecting. These objects include art, natural materials (stones, shells), cultural items (photographs, books, posters, dishes, autographs, toys, stamps, coins) and other items that reflect their experiences, values, and connections to others. These valued objects are often displayed in homes and offices—on walls, desks, tables, and shelves.
Cabinets of Wonder were typically private collections of objects that eventually evolved into the first public sense of what museums are. As art professionals, curators, and preservationists, we decide how to evaluate objects for their aesthetic and cultural value, considering what works of art should be presented, preserved, and cared for. For 40 years, the UK Art Museum has done this work and shared the results with the public, in the form of temporary exhibitions and our permanent collection. With Cabinet of Wonder, we are curious to see what kinds of objects our community finds interesting and important.
What wondrous object can you share with us?
- One entry per person.
- This exhibition is open to Kentucky residents only.
- There is limited space for objects larger than one square foot. Smaller items are preferred, but all submissions will be considered.
- Objects must be in such a condition as to withstand routine handling.
- If your object is chosen for exhibition, you will be responsible for delivering it to the UK Art Museum, Dec. 7 – 11, and picking it up at the close of the exhibition, June 4 – 7. If selected for the exhibition, your object must be delivered to the Art Museum. We cannot accept objects that are shipped.
- Objects must be picked up by June 30, or the Art Museum may use or dispose of them in any way.
- To submit your wondrous object for consideration for the exhibition, please complete the submission form and follow the instructions on the form. The deadline to submit the form and image of your object is Nov. 4.
- Please do not submit the actual object at this time. We will review all entries by the photographs and notify you if it has been accepted for the exhibition.
- After Nov. 4, the staff of the UK Art Museum will review all entries, select several for the exhibition, and notify all entrants. The important dates are:
Deadline to submit materials: November 4
Notification (at the latest): November 22
Delivery Dates: December 7 – 11, 12 – 4 pm
Exhibition Dates: January 25 – May 31, 2020
Pick-up Dates: June 4 – 7, 12 – 4 pm
For more information, please contact Michaela Miles at 859-257-0336 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
image: Varujan Boghosian, "Untitled", 1971, marble and wood. Collection of the UK Art Museum, gift of Joan Davidson.
Tues. - Thu.: 10am to 5 pm
Fri.: 10am to 8 pm
Sat. - Sun.: noon to 5pm
Closed Mondays & University Holidays.