Musical Theatre Certificate
The School of Music and the Department of Theatre & Dance offer an Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Certificate in Musical Theatre, drawing from the resources of each department to present the breadth of coursework and performance experience necessary for students to have a fundamental experience in this field of study. An audition is required for entry into the program.
COURSEWORK FOR CERTIFICATE:
1. Vocal Ensemble Class (one of the following)
MUC 192: Men's/Women's Choir; Choristers...1cr
MUC 174: Chorale...1cr
MUC 196: Opera Workshop...1 cr
2. MUC 150: Class Instruction in Piano...1 cr
3. Voice Class (one of the following)
MUP 102: Applied Voice*...1 cr
MUC 155: Voice for Non-majors*...1 cr
4. TA 348: Musical Theatre Technique...3 cr
5. TAD 242: Ballet 2...2 cr
6. TAD 243: Jazz Dance...2 cr
7. TA 237: Acting-Scene Study...3 cr
8. TAD 147: Beginning Musical Theatre Dance...2 cr
9. TAD 347: Advanced Musical Theatre Dance...2 cr
10. A practicum course where skills are applied and observed
TA 390: Theatre Practicum...1 cr
MUC 198: Opera Practicum...1 cr
TOTAL: 18 Credit Hours
*Theatre Majors who are Voice Minors within the School of Music would be able to register for MUP 102, Applied Voice. Other Theatre Majors could enroll in MUC 155, Voice for Non-Majors unless an appropriate private voice instructor or graduate student was available.
Students who are accepted in the Musical Theatre Certificate Program are encouraged to audition for and participate in the annual Department of Theatre Musical, School of Music's “It’s a Grand Night for Singing," and National Summer Stock opportunities to enhance their skills. In addition, UK Choristers produces a musical review each year that features Broadway/Musical Theatre repertoire.