College of Fine Arts Advising
Students, we're ready to help you on your journey! We assist you with Academic Advising, Course Approvals, Education Abroad, Transfer Credit, and more.
See also the STUDENT RESOURCES page for lots of important information about procedures at UK.
FRESHMEN & SOPHOMORES
Fine Arts Freshmen and Sophomores are advised by professional advisors in the Dean’s Office.
Art Education, Art History, Art Studio and Theatre majors:
Debra Garrett | 204 Fine Arts Building | 859-257-8147 | E-mail
JUNIORS & SENIORS
Juniors are assigned a faculty advisor/mentor in their major department. Seniors are advised to make an appointment for a degree audit with Jane Johnson at least one semester prior to their graduation date.
Students transferring from another university or community college or from another college on campus will be advised initially by a professional advisor from the Dean’s Office before being assigned an advisor/mentor in their department.
Students wishing to make an appointment should contact their advisor directly. All College of Fine Arts students will receive an e-mail with detailed instruction about registration advising one month before Priority Registration. Students who have been assigned to a regular faculty advisor should check with that faculty member for information about advising. Students are encouraged to use APEX, UK’s online degree audit system, to assist with planning coursework prior to meeting with their advisors.
To get the most from your advisor:
- make appointments so your advisor has sufficient time for you
- write down your questions
- share your goals, report academic problems, talk about your successes
- be assertive, ask questions
- keep a record of your academic progress
- read the rules and requirements that affect you in the University Bulletin
DIRECTORS OF UNDERGRADUATE STUDIES
Our Directors of Undergraduate Studies can assist you with any questions you may have specific to your department and major.
- School of Art and Visual Studies: Ruth Adams, E-mail
- School of Music: Elizabeth Arnold, E-mail
- Department of Theatre: Tony Hardin, E-mail
- Arts Administration Program: Rachel Shane, E-mail