How to Apply for Graduate Programs
Graduate applicants must apply to both the University of Kentucky Graduate School AND to the School of Music. In addition to the basic requirements for admission to any graduate program, the School of Music has an additional application procedure that includes an online application form, an audition procedure (for performance areas), and a required Music entrance exam. Some programs have other specific requirements. Please see the Graduate School Bulletin for university requirements for graduate degrees in Music.
- For the UK Graduate School:
The Graduate School
University of Kentucky
101 Gillis Building
Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0033
Graduate School Application Form and Fee. Apply online at the Graduate School web site. At this site you can:
- Apply for graduate admission online
- Look at the Graduate School Bulletin and other graduate information
- Check your application status
If you have graduate admission questions, you can contact the Graduate School by phone at 859-257-4613.
All required supporting documentation is a part of the online application and include the following:
- You will need to have one copy of official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work sent to the Graduate School.
- GRE scores (verbal, quantitative, analytical) For more information, contact The Educational Testing Service.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (For international students only).
Resume with the following information:
- Name, address, e-mail, and phone number
- Education (institutions, degrees, dates, majors)
- Work Experiences (locations, dates, teaching, and other professional experiences)
- Presentations / Recitals /Publications / Clinics (include locations and dates)
- Personal Objective Essay (about 150 words). Please express your motivation for seeking this degree from the University of Kentucky and how this degree fits into your goals for the future.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Representative papers or compositions written (for those seeking a degree in theory, musicology, or composition)
- Repertoire List (for those seeking a performance degree)
- For the School of Music:
Dr. Lance Brunner
Director of Graduate Studies
103 Fine Arts Building
School of Music
University of Kentucky
Lexington, Kentucky 40506-0022
- Complete the online Audition/Exam Request form to schedule an audition and/or entrance exam date. All graduate applicants must take the entrance exam, so you should complete this form whether or not you are required to perform an audition for your degree program.
- Take the Graduate Entrance Exam in Music (unless your performance area requires a pre-audition screening DVD – see “C” below).
- Audition (for those seeking a performance degree). Contact the faculty of your performing area for specific audition information. Some areas may require a pre-audition screening DVD or online video prior to being invited to campus for a live audition. The pre-screening MUST be sent to the specific area professor See the special requirements for graduate admission in your program area.
- Large Ensembles
- World Music
- Athletic Ensembles
- Events Calendar