BMME: Tennessee Technological University (2005)
MM: University of Kentucky (2009)
Paul Deatherage is an active performer and educator in the central Kentucky area. A versatile percussionist, he is experienced in many areas, including jazz, concert, marching and world percussion.
Paul attended Tennessee Technological University, where he studied with Joseph Rasmussen and completed his Bachelors Degree in Music Education in December, 2005. While living in Cookeville he also studied with Eric Willie and Bill Bachman. Paul moved to Lexington in 2007 to study with James B. Campbell and John Willmarth, while pursuing his Master’s Degree in Percussion Performance at the University of Kentucky. He completed his M.M. in May, 2009.
Paul leads a varied teaching career, working with students at middle school, high school and college levels. Paul currently teaches drumset at the University of Kentucky. He is also on percussion staff at the Lafayette High School Band, an 18-time marching band state champion and a Bands of America Grand National finalist. In addition, he maintains a private teaching studio at Don Wilson Music in Lexington.
Paul has a very active career as a freelance percussionist. He currently holds the drumset chair for the DiMartino/Osland Jazz Orchestra, the Osland/Dailey Jazztet, the Raleigh Dailey Trio, the Walnut Street Ragtime Ramblers, Sound Foundry jazz quartet, the Dave Hummel Big Band, the jazz power trio, Barry Mando Project and the classic rock/funk cover band, Deep Cutz.
Paul has performed in a variety of musical situations including large and small jazz ensembles, percussion ensembles, marching bands, orchestras, and the UK steel band. He has performed with the Lexington Philharmonic Orchestra, with Rakadu (Middle Eastern belly dance ensemble), with Abusua (West African dance ensemble) and with the Sound/Vision ensemble, performing contemporary classical compositions.
Over the years Paul has had opportunities to share the stage with such noted artists as Joe Lovano, Doc Severinsen, Wycliffe Gordon, Allen Vizzutti, Bob Mintzer, Arlo Guthrie, Malcolm-Jamal Warner, Howard Levy, Zach Brock, Denis DiBlasio, Roberto Sion, Ellen Rowe, Al Hood, Ron McCurdy, Vince Dimartino, Dan Moore, Miles Osland, and Raleigh Dailey.
Notable performances include:
• Guest artist at the University of Iowa with the Raleigh Dailey Trio (Nov, 2014)
• Howard Levy and the Osland / Dailey Jazztet performance at Natasha’s Bistro (Oct, 2014)
• Malcolm-Jamal Warner and the Ron McCurdy Quartet at University of Akron (Oct, 2014)
• Zach Brock and the Raleigh Dailey Trio performance at the Downtown Arts Center, Lexington (Aug, 2014)
• Jeff Coffin and the Osland / Dailey Jazztet performance at Natasha’s Bistro (Mar, 2014)
• Presenter at the Alabama Percussive Arts Society Chapter Day of Percussion. Clinic, “Soloing in Jazz: Foot Ostinatos, Form and Max Roach” (Mar, 2014)
• Bob Mintzer, Wycliffe Gordon, the Osland / Dailey Jazztet and the UK Jazz Ensemble at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic, Chicago (Dec, 2013)
• Arturo Sandoval, the Osland / Dailey Jazztet and the UK Wind Symphony (Dec, 2013)
• Wycliffe Gordon and the DiMartino / Osland Jazz Orchestra recording session (Sep, 2013)
• Doc Severensen and the DiMartino / Osland Jazz Orchestra at Comedy off Broadway (Jan, 2013)
• Morehead University Faculty Group, Bluegrass Inaugural Ball, Washington D.C. (Jan, 2013)
• Barry Mando Project at the Master Musicians Festival (Jul, 2012)
• Doc Severensen, Allen Vizzutti, and the DiMartino / Osland Jazz Orchestra at The Great American Brass Band Festival (Jun, 2012)
• Joe Lovano and the Osland / Dailey Jazztet at the North Sea Jazz Festival, Rotterdam, the Netherlands (Jul, 2011)
• Osland / Dailey Jazztet at the Montreux Jazz Festival, Montreux, Switzerland (Jul, 2011)
• Presenter at the Kentucky Percussive Arts Society Day of Percussion. Clinic, “Interaction and Internalization” (Mar, 2011)
• Walnut Street Ragtime Ramblers tour of Spain (Jan, 2011)
• Bob Mintzer and the UK Jazz Ensemble recording session for the album, GO! (8651-MCD) (April, 2009)
• Bob Mintzer and the UK Jazz Ensemble at the Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic (Dec, 2007)
• Arlo Guthrie and the UK Symphony Orchestra at Carnegie Hall, New York (Nov, 2007)
• UK Percussion Ensemble at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention (Nov, 2007)
• Tennessee Tech University Alumni All-Star Tuba Ensemble at Carnegie Hall, New York (Jan, 2007)
• Tennessee Tech University Tuba Ensemble at Carnegie Hall, New York (Jan, 2003)